Summer Tomato Quiche
To celebrate Julia Child’s 100 th Birthday, we have reinvented one of her favorite summer recipes “Quiche a la Tomate Nicoise”.
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½- 2 lbs. ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (save 1 whole tomato for top of quiche)
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced.
- 1 tbsp. Fresh basil chopped
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. O&CO. Fleur de Sel
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large egg and 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 12 pitted black olives (O&CO.Tanche are perfect)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- One 9 inch pie dough ( frozen or roll out kind is fine)
- O&CO. Basil Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp. O&CO. Everyday olive oil
- Put dough in pie or quiche pan. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake about 10 minutes until crust is lightly browned and pulls away from sides of pan a bit. Set aside to cool.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat and then add onions and garlic when oil is ready. Cook about 5 minutes until softened and just beginning to brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, herbs and seasonings.
- Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates ( about 5-7 minutes) Allow to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, egg yolks and tomato paste. Fold in the cooked tomato mixture.
- Spread mixture into pie shell. Decorate top with sliced whole tomato and black olives.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 375 for 25- 30 minutes.
- Drizzle each slice with a bit of O&CO basil oil before serving.
Serves 4-6 & goes great with a baby lettuce salad and crusty French bread.
Note: To peel tomatoes, drop them in boiling water for 15-20 seconds. Spoon out and then skin should slip right off. Cut in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon.